Today, Oppo officially unveiled the world’s first eSIM smartphone that supports 5G SA. Actually, this is not a new smartphone. It is the Oppo Find X3 Pro that already supports the eSIM function at launch. However, the company cooperated with Thales to ensure that this device is the first to support the 5G SA network on an eSIM.
eSIM is an embedded SIM that does not need to be inserted into the smartphone like a traditional SIM card. The SA (Standalone Network) architecture is one of the mainstream architectures of the future 5G network. This network can achieve lower latency and higher flexibility.
Xia Yang, Senior Director of Oppo Carrier Products, said: “Through technical cooperation with Thales this time, we have jointly built Find X3 Pro into the world’s first terminal products to introduce the 5G SA eSIM function”.
Thales is a provider of hardware-based eSIM and eSIM connection management. Oppo’s first smartwatch with a built-in cellular network function, the OPPO Watch series, uses the eSIM solution provided by Thales.
This time, Oppo and Thales launched a research and development cooperation. Thales integrated its eSIM solution into Find X3 Pro. It also did some adjustments to the eSIM server adaptation, debugging / verification, and lots more. The network joint debugging is to ensure that the phone supports two SIM cards and one eSIM. This means that the user can simultaneously use the two traditional SIMs and the eSIM. Furthermore, the companies had to ensure that the 5G SA network is active on the eSIM side. This is the first-ever smartphone to use this feature.
OPPO Find X3 Pro specifications
- 6.7-inch ( 1440 x 3216 pixels) Quad HD+ OLED 20.1:9 display with HDR10+, 5Hz-120Hz adaptive refresh rate, up to 1300 nits brightness, 525PPI, end-to-end 10-bit color support, 97% NTSC/100% DCI-P3 color gamut, Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- 2.84GHz Octa-Core Snapdragon 888 5nm Mobile Platform with Adreno 660 GPU
- 12GB LPDDR5 3200MHz RAM, 256GB ( UFS 3.1 @ 2Lanes HS-Gear4) storage
- Android 11 with ColorOS 11.2
- Dual SIM (nano + nano)
- 50MP camera with 1/1.56″ Sony IMX766 sensor, OIS, f/1.8 aperture, 50MP Native 110.3° 1/1.56″ ultra-wide Sony IMX766 sensor, f/2.2 aperture, capable of shooting 4cm macro shots, 13MP periscope camera with f/2.4 aperture, 5x hybrid zoom, 20x digital zoom, 3MP micro lens with f/3.0 aperture
- 32MP front camera with f/2.4 aperture
- In-display fingerprint sensor
- Water resistant (IP68)
- USB Type-C audio, Stereo speakers, Dolby Atmos
- Dimensions: 163.4 x 74 x 8.3 mm; Weight: 193g
- 5G SA/NSA, Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 6 802.11 ax, Bluetooth 5.2, GPS/GLONASS, dual-antenna NFC, USB Type-C
- 4500mAh (Typical) battery with 65W SuperVOOC 2.0 flash charge, 30W VOOC Air wireless charging, 10W reverse charging