iPhone 13 Pro has been subjected to a teardown by iFixit, an analysis that allows us to take a look inside to understand its structure, appreciate its components and understand the level of repairability. A few days ago it was the turn of the iPhone 13 – not by the hand of iFixit, however – and now we have the opportunity to find out what is hidden under the shell of the Pro variant as well.
iPhone 13 Pro Teardown
The first element that catches the eye once the device is opened (and the opening does not appear so impossible) is the L- shaped battery, which for its shape closely resembles the one that iFixit itself had found last year on the iPhone 12 Pro Max “The battery used every millimeter possible”, is reported in the description of the teardown, demonstrating how much Apple has worked to maximize its size and capacity.
Here, in summary, what emerges from the teardown:
- Opening the smartphone is not impossible, quite the contrary
- The digitizer and display cables are together
- The Taptic Engine is slightly bulkier than that of the 12 Pro
- The speaker is not fixed to the back of the display. Good thing: the display is easier to swap out if the need arises. However, it becomes more difficult to replace the speaker itself, having to extract the entire logic board
- The positioning of the cameras on the back is the same as on the 12 Pro. The bump is more noticeable, however
- The L-shaped battery is 11.97 Wh, 11% larger than the 10.78 Wh of the iPhone12 Pro. And replacing it doesn’t seem too difficult!
The final grade is still missing (it will come with the publication of the second part), but from this first analysis we can deduce that replacing the display and the battery is not impossible. Good news therefore for all those who have bought the smartphone or who intend to do so over the next few weeks.
Apple iPhone 13 Pro and iPhone 13 Pro Max specifications
- iPhone 13 Pro- 6.1-inch (2532×1170 pixels) OLED 460ppi Super Retina XDR display with ProMotion with adaptive refresh rates up to 120Hz, 1000 nits brightness, up to 1200 nits brightness, HDR, Ceramic Shield protection
- iPhone 13 Pro Max -6.7-inch (2778×1284 pixels) OLED 458ppi Super Retina XDR display with ProMotion with adaptive refresh rates up to 120Hz, 1000 nits brightness, up to 1200 nits brightness, Ceramic Shield protection
- Six-Core A15 (2 performance and 4 efficiency cores) Bionic 5nm chip with 64-bit architecture, 5‑core GPU, 16‑core Neural Engine
- 128GB,256GB, 512GB and 1TB storage options
- iOS 15
- Water and dust resistant (IP68)
- Dual SIM (nano + eSIM)
- 12MP wide-angle (f/1.5) camera, 7P lens, Sensor‑shift optical image stabilisation, True Tone flash, HDR video recording with Dolby Vision at 4K 60 fps, Slo‑mo 1080p at 240fps, 12MP 120° Ultra Wide (f/1.8) camera, 5P lens, 12MP Telephoto camera with f/2.8 aperture with 3x optical zoom for a total 6x optical zoom range, Night mode portraits enabled by LiDAR Scanner
- 12MP TrueDepth front camera with f/2.2 aperture, Retina Flash, 4K video recording at 60 fps, Slo‑mo 1080p at 120fps
- iPhone 13 Pro dimensions: 146.7 ×71.5×7.65mm; Weight: 203grams
- iPhone 13 Pro Max dimensions: 160.8 ×78.1×7.65mm; Weight: 238grams
- TrueDepth camera for FaceID facial recognition, Stereo speakers
- 5G (sub‑6 GHz), Gigabit-class LTE, 802.11ax Wi‑Fi 6 with 2×2 MIMO, Bluetooth 5.0; Ultra Wideband chip for spatial awareness, NFC with reader mode, GPS with GLONASS
- Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery with MagSafe wireless charging, fast charging; up to 22 hours (iPhone 13 Pro) / 28 hours (iPhone 13 Pro Max) of video playback