Apple introduced the mini model with the iPhone 12 mini. This device is a small screen smartphone with a 5.4-inch display. However, the sales of this smartphone did not meet the expectation of the company. After the poor sales of the iPhone 12 mini, there were reports that the iPhone 13 series will not have a mini model. Nevertheless, the company eventually released an iPhone 13 mini. This will be the last mini model in the iPhone flagship series. There are reports from multiple sources that the iPhone 14 series will not have any model with a display below 6 inches. In the future, the only small-screen iPhone will be the SE model.
As for why Apple cut the mini, the reason seems to be poor sales. In Counterpoint’s sales statistics of the 2021 iPhone 13 series in the Chinese market, the 6.1-inch iPhone 13 is the most popular, with more than half (51%) of buyers buying it. Next is the iPhone 13 Pro Max, which accounts for 23%, and the 6.1-inch iPhone 13 Pro, which accounts for 21%. In contrast, the 13 mini has only a poor share of 5%.
Gizchina News of the week
According to Counterpoint, the initial sales of the iPhone 13 series in the Chinese market surpassed that of the previous generation of the iPhone 12 series. The reason for this is very simple. Not only has the starting capacity of the iPhone 13 series been increased to 128GB, the price is also cheaper. The A15 Bionic processor, 120Hz LTPO display, camera components of the two Pros, etc are the selling points of the latest iPhone.
Apple iPhone 13 mini specifications
- 5.4-inch (2340 × 1080 pixels) OLED 476ppi Super Retina XDR display. 800 nits brightness, up to 1200 nits brightness, HDR, True Tone, Ceramic Shield protection
- Six-Core A15 (2 performance and 4 efficiency cores) Bionic 5nm chip with 64-bit architecture, 4‑core GPU, 16‑core Neural Engine
- 128GB, 256GB, 512GB storage options
- iOS 15
- Water and dust resistant (IP68)
- Dual SIM (nano + eSIM)
- 12MP wide-angle (f/1.6) camera, 7P lens, Sensor-shift optical image stabilisation for video. True Tone flash, HDR video recording with Dolby Vision at 4K 60 fps, Slo‑mo 1080p at 240fps. 12MP 120° Ultra Wide (f/2.4) secondary camera, 5P lens
- 12MP TrueDepth front camera with f/2.2 aperture, Retina Flash, HDR video recording with Dolby Vision up to 4K at 60 fps, Slo‑mo 1080p at 120fps
- TrueDepth camera for FaceID facial recognition, Stereo speakers
- Dimensions: 131.5×64.2×7.65mm; Weight: 140grams
- 5G (sub‑6 GHz), Gigabit-class LTE, 802.11ax Wi‑Fi 6 with 2×2 MIMO, Bluetooth 5.0, Ultra Wideband chip for spatial awareness, NFC with reader mode, GPS with GLONASS
- Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery with MagSafe wireless charging, fast charging, up to 17 hours of video playback