Recently, developer Gustave Monce successfully flashed the Microsoft Surface Duo phone into the Windows 11 operating system. The phone was pre-installed with Android 10 and has now been upgraded to Android 11. Previously, the developer ported Windows 10 to the Lumia 950 XL phone, which pre-installed Windows 10 Mobile (formerly Windows Phone). Of course, we know that Microsoft has stopped maintaining Windows 10 Mobile.
It is worth noting that the Surface Duo running Windows 11 currently has many bugs. However, the interesting news is that we have Windows 11 “successfully” running on a smartphone. The Microsoft Surface Duo was launched in September 2020. This is the first dual-screen mobile phone in Microsoft’s Surface series.
This smartphone comes with two 5.6-inch AMOLED screens held together with a hinge. Each of these displays has a resolution of 1800×1350. After unfolding, you can get an 8.1-inch field of view with a resolution of 2700×1800 and a screen aspect ratio of 3: 2. In terms of core configuration, Surface Duo is equipped with Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 flagship processor. This smartphone also comes with 6GB of RAM and 256GB of internal storage. However, this device does not support 5G.
Gizchina News of the week
Microsoft Surface Duo specifications
- 5.6-inch (1800×1350 pixels) AMOLED 4:3 single PixelSense Display, 401 PPI, 8.1-inch (2700×1800 pixels) AMOLED 3:2 Display when open, Corning Gorilla Glass protection
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 Mobile Platform optimized for the dual-screen experience
- 6GB LPDDR4X RAM, 128GB / 256GB (UFS 3.0) internal storage
- Android 10
- One eSIM and one Nano SIM
- Side-mounted Fingerprint Sensor
- 11MP camera with f/2.0 aperture, PDAF, LED Flash, optimized for front and rear, 4K video recording at 60 fps
- 4G LTE, Wi-Fi 802.11ac (2.4/5GHz), Bluetooth 5.0, GPS / GLONASS, DisplayPort over USB-C
- 3577mAh (typical) dual battery with 18W fast charging
Microsoft Surface Duo receives Android 11
Android 12 has been out since October last year. So far, companies like Samsung and ASUS are doing a good job and updating their devices. Meanwhile, other brands are conducting tests to ensure a stable rollout. In the other half of the coin, we have companies rolling out Android 11 updates, and Microsoft is among them. Microsoft is finally rolling out the Android 12 update for its very unusual Microsoft Surface Duo. The device was unveiled in 2019 and launched only in 2020 with Android 10. This update has been on the way since 2021, but the company didn’t manage to bring it. Now, the update is here, but the problem is that it is already outdated and Android 13 should be revealed in a few months.
The update is rolling out with firmware version 2021.1027.156 and bumps the Android security patch level on the Surface Duo to January 2022. The new update also improves the Quick Settings and brings an all-new app drawer and folder design. Microsoft also ensures an improved dual-screen experience with the device. Users will be able to view and edit photos in the OneDrive application.