Geekbench, the famous benchmark tool, has just banned new Samsung tablets from its databases. This concerns the Galaxy Tab S8, the Tab S8+ as well as the Tab S8 Ultra. These products would use techniques to improve their results. The last four generations of Galaxy S smartphones have been pushed back for the same reasons.
The fact is that Samsung restricts the performance of its new products in order to avoid overheating on more than 10,000 applications. Internet users have searched the code and discovered an intriguing feature called Game Optimizing Service (GOS). It is this that allows Samsung to artificially reduce performance when needed.
However, this feature is disabled when a benchmark tool is launched. The processor then operates at full power, but does not reflect its actual use. The results are therefore not consistent and we can then say that there is cheating, or at least deception on the goods. With GOS disabled, the product sees a 24% increase in performance in single core and 11% in multi-core.
The Android Authority site reported the tablet fraud. Subsequently, the Geekbench tool made the decision to exclude the products. If it is still possible to run the application on these devices, the results are no longer counted.
Samsung spoke on the subject and indicated that an upcoming update would be released on smartphones and tablets. It will allow the user to activate GOS or not, to give him more freedom on the performance of his product.
This GOS is integrated directly into the One UI overlay and works regardless of the processor. As a reminder, some models of the Galaxy S22 range is equipped with an Exynos 2200 processor while the Galaxy Tab is equipped with a Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 SoC.
Samsung Galaxy Tab S8 series specifications
- Tab S8 — 11-inch (2560 x 1600 pixels) WQXGA 120Hz LTPS TFT display with up to 500 nits brightness, 276 ppi
- Tab S8+ — 12.7-inch (2800 x 1752 pixels) WQXGA+ 120Hz Super AMOLED display with up to 420 nits brightness, 266 ppi
- Tab-S8 Ultra — 14.6-inch (2960 x 1848 pixels) WQXGA+ 120Hz Super AMOLED display with up to 420 nits brightness, 240 ppi
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 4nm Mobile Platform with Adreno next-gen GPU
- 8GB RAM with 128GB storage (S8 and S8+) / 12GB RAM with 256GB storage (S8 Ultra), expandable memory up to 1TB with microSD
- Android 12 with One UI 4.1
- 13MP rear camera with f/2.0 aperture, 6MP ultra-wide camera with f/2.2 aperture
- 12MP front-facing camera with f/2.4 aperture, 12MP ultra-wide secondary camera with f/2.2 aperture (Tab S8 Ultra only)
- Galaxy S8 — Side-mounted fingerprint scanner
- Galaxy S8+ and Ultra— In-display fingerprint scanner
- Quad Stereo speakers with Sound by AKG, Dolby Atmos, 3 microphones
- S Pen with Bluetooth
- Tab S8 Dimensions:253.8×165.3×6.3mm; Weight: 503 (Wi-Fi) / 507g (5G)
- Tab S8+ Dimensions: 285x185x5.7mm; Weight:567g (Wi-Fi) / 572g (5G)
- Tab S8 Ultra Dimensions: 326.4 x 208.6 x 5.5mm; Weight: 726g (Wi-Fi) / 728g (5G)
- 5G SA/NSA, 4G LTE, Wi-Fi 6E 802.11 ax, Wi-Fi Direct, Bluetooth 5.2, GPS + GLONASS, Beidou, Galileo, USB 3.2 Type-C
- Tab S8 — 8,000mAh battery with 45W Fast Charging
- Tab S8+ — 10,090mAh battery with 45W Fast Charging
- Tab-S8 Ultra — 11,200mAh battery with 45W Fast Charging