At the Google I/O conference in the early hours of today (May 12), in addition to Android 13 Beta 2, the Mountain View giant also brought a series of hardware products, such as Pixel 6a and Pixel 7 mobile phones. However, fans found that the Pixel 6a cancelled the 3.5mm headphone jack that Google was once proud of. This is the first time that a Pixel A series will not have a 3.5mm headphone jack.
It’s not an exaggeration to say “proud”, because just a few months ago, Google mocked Apple’s cancellation of the headphone jack on the iPhone in a promotional video on its official channel. At the time, the Google Pixel 5a still retains the headphone jack. At the time, the company wrote “OMG, headphone jack, on the 5G-enabled Pixel 5a”.
Gizchina News of the week
In fact, it’s not the first time something like this has happened.
In 2016, when the iPhone 7 was released, Apple for the first time eliminated the 3.5mm headphone jack, while the first-generation Pixel the same year retained it. At that time, Google teased Apple intentionally or unintentionally. However, on the Pixel 2 the following year, the headphone jack was also cut off.
Going back to the Pixel 6a, it still uses the Google Tensor processor, 1080P 60Hz punch screen, 6GB RAM, 128GB ROM, 4306 mAh battery, and a dual 12MP camera. Nevertheless, this smartphone comes with a $449 starting price.
Google Pixel 6a specifications
- 6.1-inch (2400 x 1080 pixels) FHD+ OLED HDR display, Corning Gorilla Glass 3 protection
- Google Tensor processor (2x 2.80GHz Cortex-X1 + 2 x 2.25GHz Cortex-A76 + 4 x 1.80GHz Cortex-A55) with 848MHz Mali-G78 MP20 GPU, Titan M2 security chip
- 6GB LPDDR5 RAM, 128GB (UFS 3.1) storage
- Android 12
- Dual SIM (nano + eSIM)
- 12.2MP rear camera with f/1.7 aperture, IMX363 sensor, LED flash, OIS, 12MP 107° Ultra-wide camera with IMX386 sensor, f/2.2 aperture, PDAF
- 8MP front camera with 84° ultra-wide lens, IMX355 sensor, f/2.0 aperture
- In-display fingerprint sensor
- Water and dust Resistant (IP67)
- USB Type-C audio, Stereo speakers, 2 microphones
- Dimensions: 152.2x 71.8x 8.9mm; Weight: 178g
- 5G SA/NA, 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 6E 802.11ax (2.4/5 GHz), Bluetooth 5.2 LE, GPS, USB Type C 3.1 (1st Gen), NFC
- 4,306 (Typical) battery with 18W wired fast charging
In terms of hardware, the Google Pixel 6a has three colours, and uses a Google Tensor processor + Titan M2 security chip. This smartphone also supports a 5G network connection. Google claims that the phone will receive “five years of security updates” and three years of operating system updates. It will officially hit the shelves on July 28, with pre-orders starting July 21.