In November of 2013, Taiwanese chispet maker Mediatek, released the worlds first true octacore processor. The MT6592 octacore runs all 8-cores at once and received a faster GPU and clock speeds of either 1.7Ghz and 2.0ghz.
Mediatek’s newly launched MT6595 chipset builds on the original octacore SoC but adds 4G lte and a mixture of ARM A17 and A7 which will use ARM’s big.LITTLE architecture similar to Samsung’s Exynos Octacore chipset.
Mediatek have really packed the the octacore MT6595 chipset with some stunning features and hope that their new processor will take on the mighty Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 and 805 processors, other features of the new chip include;
Mediatek Octacore MT6595 4G LTE SoC specifications
- Rogue PowerVR Series 6 GPU.
- 4 x ARM Cortex-A7 and 4 x ARM Cortech A17 cores.
- On chip 4G LTE, TD-SCMDA, WCDMA and GSM support.
- Ultra HD 4K2K video playback and capture.
- Support for up to 20 mega-pixel cameras.
- Support for WQXGA 2560 x 1600 displays.
- GPS, Glonass, Beidou, Gailieo and QZSS.
- Ultra low-power Bluetooth.
Mediatek are hoping that more manufacturers will adopt their processors this year and plans to expand in to the U.S market, which to us suggests that at least one of the new Meizu MX4G phones will pack this processor.
As for a launch date, OEMS will be receiving samples soon with phones running the octacore MT6595 chipset going on sale from the 2nd half of this year!