Less than a year after it wowed the World with the Vivo NEX featuring an on-screen fingerprint reader and a pop-up selfie camera, Vivo is back again with the sequel to that particular phone. And as we reported earlier, the next edition of the Vivo NEX smartphone isn’t the Vivo NEX 2 but dubbed the Vivo NEX dual display edition.
The device much like its name suggests highlights dual displays – one main display and a secondary rear display. Both displays use the AMOLED full-HD panels, and what is more, the rear display isn’t just there for attention, it is for real life use including adding photos to customize its appearance. The device comes with the fifth-gen in-screen fingerprint scanner which Vivo can unlock your phone in 0.29 seconds.
Outside of the dual displays, the Vivo NEX dual Display edition is full of power. It flaunts an almost bezel-free 6.4-inch screen on the front and a 5.5-inch one on the rear, and under the hood, the device uses the flagship Snapdragon 845 chipset coupled with 10GB of RAM and 128GB of storage, which is sadly non-expandable.
Above the smaller rear display, the Vivo NEX Dual display edition houses a triple camera setup with a Lunar Ring- a 12MP main camera, 2-megapixel for low light shots, and Time-of-flight (TOF) 3D camera for facial recognition. Again, the lunar ring isn’t just for fancy, it can light up for notifications and even can add diffuse lighting useful for selfie shoots.
There are a lot to explore in the camera menu including AI scene recognition, Body and Face Shaping as well as the Pose Director mode which uses the rear display to show pose suggestions picked from Vivo’s image library.
Vivo NEX Dual Screen specifications
- 6.39-inch (2340×1080 pixels) Full HD+ Super AMOLED 19:5:9 aspect ratio display, DCI-P3 color gamut
- 5.49-inch (1920×1080 pixels) Full HD Super AMOLED display
- 2.8GHz Octa-Core Snapdragon 845 64-bit 10nm Mobile Platform with Adreno 630 GPU
- 10GB RAM, 128GB internal storage
- Dual SIM
- Funtouch OS 4.5 based on Android 9.0 (Pie)
- 12MP Dual PD rear camera with dual-tone LED flash, Sony IMX363 sensor, 4-axis OIS, f/1.79 aperture, secondary 2MP night vision camera with f/1.8 aperture, 2.9μm pixel size, 3D TOF camera with f/1.3 aperture
- In-display fingerprint sensor
- Dimensions: 157.19×75.3×8.09m; Weight: 199.2g
- 3.5mm audio jack, AK-4377A amplifier, deep space sound
- Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz / 5GHz) 2×2 MIMO, Bluetooth 5 LE, GPS + GLONASS, USB Type-C
- 3500mAh battery with 22.5W fast charging
Unlike the original Vivo NEX, the Vivo NEX Dual display edition will sell outside of China including Hong Kong, Singapore, and Taiwan. The device will go on sale from December 29th and is priced at 4,998 yuan/ $725, £575 / AU$1,005.