LG has unveiled its new Velvet smartphone last month. The Velvet model stands out from other devices by its simple and good looking design. But the good impression was spoiled by the high price, which Koreans want to fix by releasing a version without a 5G modem.
LG Velvet 4G with an older processor
Recall: the basic version of LG Velvet has a Snapdragon 765 processor on board, which has an integrated 5G modem. However, as not everyone will be able to connect to the new generation of networks, LG decided to launch a 4G LTE edition. To this end, the newer processor was abandoned in favor of a SoC of two years ago.
Yes, LG Velvet will arrive with Snapdragon 845, which is the chipset that was embedded in the flagships of 2018. It has similar capabilities to the mid-range Snapdragon 765 SoC but has one big advantage: due to the fact that it is a system that is not used by any manufacturer anymore, it is noticeably cheaper to buy. In this way, LG can significantly reduce the price of this version of the smartphone.
Gizchina News of the week
An additional element lowering the price of the LG Velvet is the use of smaller memory. The basic edition of the smartphone has 8 GB RAM, and the 4G LTE option will get only 6 GB of RAM.
The rest of the components will not change. The set of cameras will be just as good as in the 5G version, just like the rest of the components used by the manufacturer.
The use of an older processor will strongly translate into the price of the LG Velvet 4G. Although we have no confirmation yet, because the smartphone has not yet got the release date, it is to be up to 20% cheaper than its original with a 5G modem. This would mean a price of 359200 won, which is around $300.
LG VELVET specifications
- 6.8-inch (2340 × 1080 pixels) Full HD+ 20.5: 9 aspect ratio OLED display
- Octa Core (1 x 2.4GHz + 1 x 2.2GHz + 6 x 1.8GHz Kryo 475 CPUs) Snapdragon 765G 7nm EUV Mobile Platform with Adreno 620 GPU
- 8GB RAM, 128GB storage, expandable memory up to 1TB with microSD
- Android 10
- Dual SIM
- 48MP rear camera with LED flash, 8MP ultra-wide lens, 5MP depth sensor
- 16MP front-facing camera
- In-display fingerprint sensor
- 3.5mm audio jack, stereo speakers
- 5G SA/ NSA, Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ax (2.4GHz + 5GHz), Bluetooth 5.1, GPS/GLONASS/Beidou, NFC, USB Type-C
- 4300mAh (Typical) battery with fast charging, 10w wireless charging