In September this year, LG Wing was officially revealed which is a smartphone with two displays and a T-shape. Its appearance became possible due to the desire of the company to offer something like that. So, at the end of last year, a new CEO appeared at LG, promising to make it so that in 2021 the mobile division will become profitable, and a new line of devices that will offer the wow factor will help in this.
According to the Herald Corporation, less than 50 thousand units of LG Wing have been sold in South Korea so far. Interestingly, the company itself hoped that there would be 2 million users in the world who would want to get an unusual smartphone. But it is already clear that this goal will be unattainable. LG Wing has failed in the market, and this is provided that in South Korea, one of the largest cellular operators offers a smartphone with a 50% discount.
Whether the fiasco of an unusual product will affect the company’s desire to continue experimenting with form factors is unknown. Most likely, projects have already been launched and LG is unlikely to abandon them in the hope that one of them will succeed. We will only have to observe the situation and evaluate what will be the company’s foldable smartphone, which is scheduled for release next year.
Gizchina News of the week
LG WING specifications
- 6.8-inch (2440 × 1080 pixels) Full HD+ 20.5: 9 aspect ratio P-OLED display, 3.9-inch (1240 x 1080 pixels) 1.15:1 G-OLED second screen
- Octa Core (1 x 2.4GHz + 1 x 2.2GHz + 6 x 1.8GHz Kryo 475 CPUs) Snapdragon 765G 7nm EUV Mobile Platform with Adreno 620 GPU
- 8GB RAM, 128GB storage, expandable memory up to 2TB with microSD
- Android 10
- 64MP rear camera with LED flash, f/1.8 aperture, OIS; 13MP 117° ultra-wide lens with f/1.9 aperture; 12MP 120° ultra-wide Gimbal mode Camera with f/2.2 aperture
- 32MP pop-up front-facing camera with f/1.9 aperture
- In-display fingerprint sensor
- USB Type-C audio
- Dimensions: 169.5 x 74.5 x 10.9 mm; Weight: 260g
- MIL-STD 810G Compliance, Water and Dust Resistance (IP54)
- 5G SA/ NSA, Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz + 5GHz), Bluetooth 5.1, GPS/GLONASS/Beidou, NFC, USB Type-C
- 4000mAh (Typical) battery with Quick Charge 4.0+ 25W fast charging, 10w wireless charging
Should've had top of the line processor
Never heard of that LG phone, never seen a phone like that around me.
Cause of failure? Plain O' insufficient money spent marketing and ads.
Isn't CPU a little underpowered?
What does T shape phone inspires to for behavioral?