Chinese smartphone maker Xiaomi at an event in India earlier today expanded the Redmi-series smartphone portfolio in the country with the unveiling of the much talked about Redmi Y3 and the Redmi 7. The Redmi 7 was earlier launched in China, while the Y3 is fresh of the box as the sequel to one of last year’s better low-end phones – the Xiaomi Redmi Y2 /Redmi S2.
The Redmi Y3 much like the Redmi 7 gets a 6.26-inch HD+ display (1520x720pixels) with Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection and ditches the large bezels on last year’s Redmi Y2 for waterdrop, and what is more, the device offers p2i water-repellent coating making it splash proof and a so-called Aura Prism rear design.
The device retains the rear fingerprint sensor as well as the dual camera setup – a primary 12-megapixel rear camera with LED flash along with a secondary 2-megapixel camera for capturing depth information in portrait shots and AI scene detection, similar to the Redmi 7, but this comes with a 32-megapixel camera on the front with 4-in-1 pixel binning technology, AI portraits and AI face unlock. The front camera also offers auto HDR, palm shutter gestures, electronic stabilization, and the firm’s software-driven portrait mode. The Redmi Y2 for reference sake features a 16MP camera, 12MPprimary rear sensor but with a 5MP.
There are a couple of noteworthy upgrades under the hood too. The Y3 drops the SD 625 chipset in favor of the Snapdragon 632 chipset and comes in same 3GB or 4GB of RAM, and 32GB or 64GB of expandable storage configurations. The device is powered by a massive 4,000mAh battery while it will boot Android 9 Pie OS, and MIUI 10 skin out of the box.
The Redmi Y3 is expected to go on sale on April 30th in Elegant Blue, Bold Red colors and Prime Black colors via Amazon.in, Mi.com and Mi Home Stores. The variant with 3GB RAM is priced at $144/ Rs. 9999 while the 4GB variant will cost as much as $172 / Rs. 11,999.
Xiaomi Redmi Y3 specifications
- 6.26-inch (1520 × 720 pixels) HD+ 19:9 2.5D curved glass display, 84% NTSC Color Gamut, 1500:1 contrast ratio, 450 nits brightness Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- 1.8GHz Octa-Core Snapdragon 632 14nm Mobile Platform with Adreno 506 GPU
- 3GB RAM with 32GB storage / 4GB RAM with 64GB storage, expandable memory up to 512GB with microSD
- Android 9.0 (Pie) with MIUI 10
- Dual SIM (nano + nano + microSD)
- 12MP rear camera with LED Flash, 1.25um pixel size, f/2.2 aperture, PDAF, secondary 2MP camera
- 32MP front-facing camera with 1/2.8″ sensor, 0.8μm pixel size, f/2.25 aperture
- Fingerprint sensor, Infrared sensor
- Splash resistant (P2i nano coating)
- 3.5mm audio jack, FM Radio
- Dimensions: 158.73×75.58×8.47mm; Weight: 180g
- Dual 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.2, GPS + GLONASS
- 4000mAh (typical) / 3900mAh (minimum) battery