Last week’s Samsung presentation gave us a lot of new devices, but nevertheless, some important unannounced innovations of the new flagship smartphones remained behind the scenes. So, the Galaxy Note 20 Ultra and Z Fold 2 models were the first devices to receive an adaptive screen refresh rate, said XDA editor-in-chief Mishaal Rahman on his Twitter account, referring to the YouTube channel TheTechChap (timecode 1:46).
Galaxy Note 20 Ultra and Z Fold 2 are the first phones with the adaptive high refresh rate
The Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra and Z Fold 2 are the first smartphones with high refresh rate OLED displays that support adaptively changing the refresh rate.
Samsung hasn't really mentioned this much but they do tell you if you ask, as they told @TheTechChap.
— Mishaal Rahman (@MishaalRahman) August 9, 2020
The dynamic approach will save battery power by automatically changing the refresh rate depending on the content displayed on the screen: for text display, it will drop to 1-11 Hz, movies – from 24 to 60 Hz, and for games from 30 to 120 Hz. We will find out very soon how this will affect the real autonomy of the flagship Galaxy Note 20 Ultra.
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra specifications
- 6.9-inch Quad HD+ (3088 × 1440 pixels) Dynamic AMOLED Infinity-O Display, HDR10+,496PPI, 120Hz refresh rate, up to 1500 nits brightness, Corning Gorilla Glass Victus protection
- Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 865+ 7nm Mobile Platform with Adreno 650 GPU / Octa-Core Samsung Exynos 990 7nm EUV processor with ARM Mali-G77MP11 GPU
- LTE- 8GB LPDDR5 RAM with 256GB/512GB (UFS 3.1) storage, expandable memory up to 1TB with microSD
- 5G – 12GB LPDDR5 RAM with 128GB/256GB/512GB (UFS 3.1) storage, expandable memory up to 1TB with microSD
- Android 10 with OneUI
- Hybrid Dual SIM (nano + nano / microSD)
- 108MP rear camera with LED Flash, f/1.8 aperture, PDAF, OIS, Laser AF Sensor, 12MP Periscope lens with f/3.0 aperture, PDAF, OIS, 5X optical zoom, Super Resolution Zoom up to 50X, 12MP 120° Ultra Wide sensor with f/2.2 aperture
- 10MP front-facing camera with f/2.2 aperture
- Water and dust resistant (IP68)
- Stereo speakers tuned by AKG, Dolby Atmos
- Ultrasonic fingerprint sensor
- Dimensions: 164.8 x 77.2 x 8.1mm; Weight: 208
- Bluetooth enabled S Pen with Pressure levels: 4096, Pen tip diameter: 0.7 mm, IP68
- 5G SA/NSA, Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11ax (2.4/5GHz), HE80, MIMO, 1024-QAM, Bluetooth 5, GPS with GLONASS, USB Type-C (Gen 3.2), NFC, MST
- 4500mAh (typical) battery with 45W fast charging, wireless (WPC and PMA) charging, Wireless PowerShare
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 comes at a price tag of $999 with 128GB of storage and 8GB of RAM. Color options include Mystic Bronze, Gray, and Green. While the Note 20 Ultra starts at $1,299 comes with 12GB RAM & 256GB. Color options for the Ultra model include Mystic Bronze, White, and Black. The phone is available to buy on Samsung’s website, carrier partners, and retailers.