While it is very interesting and cool to use a flagship smartphone, you also need to be very careful if you are holding so much money in your hand. Xiaomi recently released the Xiaomi Mi MIX 4 flagship smartphone. This is the company’s first regular MIX smartphone in three years. It is also Xiaomi’s first smartphone that uses the under-screen camera technology. The starting price of this device is $770. However, if anything serious happens to the display, you may have to spend a “fortune”.
Today, Xiaomi’s official website has announced the repair price list of the Xiaomi Mi MIX 4. The list shows that the replacement cost of the MIX 4 CUP screen is 1550 yuan ($239). This amount can get you a pretty decent Redmi mid-range smartphone. The Xiaomi Mi MIX 4 display has a resolution of only 1080P and is comparable to the Xiaomi Mi 11 series. The 2K OLED screen is 120 yuan ($18) more expensive.
In addition, the after-sale price of the ceramic back cover is ridiculously expensive. Take the Shadow Cleaner version as an example, the repair cost of the ceramic back cover part is 680 yuan ($105). This ceramic back is almost 5 times the cost of the Xiaomi Mi 11.
However, there is a reason why the Xiaomi Mi MIX 4 display is very expensive. The display comes with the under-screen camera technology. This display is a reflection of three years of work from Xiaomi’s development team. In addition, the build process of the display is very complex. Lei Jun once said, “the proactive area under the screen is very costly, and the entire panel is equivalent to a combination of two screens”. As for the ceramic backplate, it has always been much more expensive than glass. Xiaomi also launched the lightweight integrated precision ceramic this time, which not only maintains the warm and moist feel but also reduces the weight of the ceramic by 30%.
Xiaomi Mi MIX 4 specifications
- 6.67-inch (2400×x 1080 pixels) Full HD+ 10-bit AMOLED display, Dolby Vision, HDR10+, 120Hz refresh rate, 480Hz touch sampling rate, Corning Gorilla Glass Victus Protection
- Up to 3.0GHz Octa Core Snapdragon 888 Plus 5nm Mobile Platform with Adreno 660 GPU
- 8GB LPPDDR5 RAM with 128GB / 256GB UFS 3.1 storage, 12GB LPPDDR5 RAM with 256GB / 512GB UFS 3.1 storage
- Dual SIM (nano + nano)
- MIUI 12.5 based on Android 11
- 108MP rear camera with 1/ 1.33″ Samsung HMX sensor, 0.8μm pixel size, LED flash, f/1.95 aperture, OIS, up to 100x zoom, 13MP 120° free-form ultra-wide camera with f/2.2 aperture, 8MP periscope camera with 5x optical zoom, up to 50x digital zoom, 8K video recording at 24fps, 4k 60 fps
- 20MP Under screen front-facing camera, 1.6μm 4-in-1 Super Pixel
- In-display fingerprint sensor, Infrared sensor
- USB Type-C audio, Hi-Res audio, Custom 1014 linear top speaker, 1216P linear bottom speaker, SOUND BY Harman Kardon
- 5G SA/NSA, 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 6E 802.11 ax 2×2 MIMO, Bluetooth 5.2, UWB, GPS (L1 + L5), NavIC, NFC, USB Type-C
- 4500mAh (Typical) battery with 120W wired, 50W wireless charging