Back in May 2018, specifically on May 31st, Xiaomi officially released the Xiaomi Mi 8. The company released this smartphone to mark its 8th anniversary. It is officially confirmed that this smartphone will also be able to upgrade to the latest MIUI 12.5 system. Today, Zhang Guoquan, director of Xiaomi’s system software department, revealed that the Xiaomi Mi 8 is currently getting the MIUI 12.5 update.
In December last year, the company officially unveiled the MIUI 12.5 system. According to Xiaomi, this upgrade is no less than a major version update. In terms of fluency, the official claims that the system memory usage reduces by an average of 35%. Furthermore, it also saves power with its 25% lower power consumption capacity. The MIUI 12.5 brings a new light cone motion effect architecture, more immersive translucent motion blur, new super wallpapers, new notification system sounds, more delicate vibration touch, and “One more thing” MIUI+ collaboration function.
The second batch of the MIUI 12.5 stable version is currently rolling out. The update has been rolling out to devices in this batch since the end of last month. The second batch of models to get this update includes
- Xiaomi Mi 10S, Mi 10 Youth Edition 5G, Mi 9, Mi CC9 Pro
- Redmi K40 Pro, Redmi K40, Redmi K30S Extreme Commemorative Edition, Redmi K30 Extreme Commemorative Edition, Redmi K30 Pro, Redmi K30 5G, Redmi K30i 5G, Redmi K20 Pro, Redmi Note 9 Pro, Redmi Note 9, Redmi 10X Pro 5G, Redmi 10X 5G
The Xiaomi Mi 8 is neither in the first batch nor the second batch. Most likely, this smartphone will be in the third batch.
Xiaomi Mi 8 / Mi 8 Explorer Edition specifications
- 6.21-inch (2248 × 1080 pixels) Full HD+ 18:7:9 AMOLED display with 600 nits brightness, 60000:1 contrast ratio, DCI-P3 color gamut
- 2.8GHz Octa-Core Snapdragon 845 64-bit 10nm Mobile Platform with Adreno 630 GPU
- 6GB LPDDR4x RAM with 64GB / 128GB / 256GB (UFS 2.1) storage, 8GB LPDDR4x RAM with 256GB (UFS 2.1) storage in Mi 8 Explorer Edition
- Android 8.1 (Oreo) with MIUI 9, upgradable to MIUI 10
- Dual SIM (nano + nano)
- 12MP rear camera with 26mm wide-angle lens, 1/2.6″ Sony IMX363 sensor, f/1.8 aperture, 1.4µm pixel size, dual-tone LED flash, 4-axis OIS, Optical zoom, 4K video recording, secondary 12MP rear camera with Samsung S5K3M3 sensor, f/2.4 aperture, 1.0µm pixel size, 2X zoom
- 20MP front-facing camera with real-time AI portraits
- IR Face unlock (Mi 8) / 3D Face unlock (Mi 8 Explorer Edition)
- Fingerprint sensor (Mi 8) / in-display fingerprint sensor (Mi 8 Explorer Edition)
- Dimensions: 154.9×74.8x 7.6 mm; Weight: 175g (Mi 8) ; 177g (Mi 8 Explorer Edition)
- Dual 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11ac dual-band (2×2 MU-MIMO ), Bluetooth 5, Dual-frequency (L1+L5) GPS/GLONASS/Beidou, NFC, USB Type-C
- 3400mAh (typ) / 3300mAh (min) battery with Quick Charge 4+ fast charging (Mi 8) / 3000mAh (typ) / 2900mAh (min) with Quick Charge 4+ fast charging (Mi 8 Explorer Edition)